News 5.27.20: BV County Surge, Tyson Reaction and Hard Rock Reopening
The number of COVID-19 cases in Buena Vista County jumped by more than 400 on Tuesday, making it the county with the highest number of cases per capita in the state.
Governor Kim Reynolds says so far no businesses have met the criteria for an outbreak, which is 10 percent of workers testing positive.
Reynolds says the state is not planning to list business outbreaks on its COVID-19 website where long-term care outbreaks are published. Also, business outbreaks will not be announced publicly unless the question is raised by reporters.
Tyson foods put out a statement saying the company has been working closely with local health officials and conducted large-scale testing in Storm Lake and will disclose verified test results once complete data is available. Tyson says the health and safety of team members, their families and communities is a top priority.
There are five more deaths in the Sioux City metro area, three in Woodbury County two more in Dakota County for a total of 56 people. There were eight more confirmed cases in Woodbury County and one more in Dakota County.
Statewide in Iowa, there are 495 deaths and more than 18,300 positive cases. That is 10 more deaths than reported at 10 this morning.
South Dakota health officials have reported four new deaths from COVID-19, along with 57 new cases.
The new deaths bring South Dakota’s total to 54. The state’s tally of confirmed cases rose to more than 4,710
The Hard Rock Hotel and Casino plans to reopen on Tuesday, June 2nd at 9 a.m.
In a news release sent out today the casino says it plans to do a phased-in opening with table games, valet and buffet opening at a later time.
Also, hours of operation will be shorted in 7 a.m. to 3 a.m. During the week and 24 hours on weekends and select holidays.
There will be temperature screenings done before anyone can enter the casino and frequent sanitation. Employees who work with the public will wear masks and guests are encouraged to wear masks.
And, The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is extending the closure of cabins, lodges and group activities through June 15th. Administrators say they want to make sure the rentals are safe for visitors and staff. Playgrounds and rec areas are closed until further notice.