The Exchange: 6.1.22 Pride Month Exploration
June is Pride Month and this week on The Exchange, hear from the Executive Director of the Sioux City Human Rights Commission and Co-Founder of the Siouxland Pride Alliance, Karen Mackey, about the evolution of LQBTQIA+ rights in the community.
Hosts Mary Hartnett and Sheila Brummer also explore the issue with segments and interviews with the following guests and topics:
- The recent controversy and resolution surrounding same-sex marriage and the Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska.
- Democratic lawmaker Danica Roem of Virginia. Roem is the first transgender person elected to a state legislature. In December 2017, The Advocate named her a finalist for its "Person of the Year."
- Sasha Issenberg, author of The Engagement America’s Quarter-Century Struggle Over Same-Sex Marriage, Issenberg is a long-time journalist who worked for many publications, including the Boston Globe, Bloomberg Politics, New York Magazine, George, and more. He is currently the Washington correspondent for Monocle. He spent time in Iowa and Sioux City covering the Iowa Caucuses in 2020.
- U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley talked to Siouxland Public Media about the upcoming primary election. He faces a primary challenge by Sioux City lawyer and state lawmaker Jim Carlin in the upcoming primary election on June 7, 2022.
- Food Truck Fridays and Volunteer Organizer Sam Burrish